To be able to tension the O-ring belts, I’ll be making a dummy alternator.
For the alternator bracket and tensioner parts, which are somewhat odd shaped, the first side is machined. Then a set of machinable jaws is installed in the vise to machine off the holding stock and finish the second side of the parts.
Second side being machined in the soft jaws:
The tensioner parts are tapped, and the slot for the fork is milled.
The alternator housing and end bell are machined:
Here the finished parts:
The assembled dummy alternator:
Installed on the engine:
The fan is made from .040″ 3003 aluminum sheet. I used CA glue and masking tape to secure the sheet to a plate. The use of masking tape seems to be popular by a number of YouTube machinist, so I figured I would give it a try. It worked very well. To release, I warmed up the parts until the bond let go.
The fan blade after deburring:
To press the radius into the blades, I 3D printed a die with the required shape. This was an experiment, and it worked flawless. I’m confident this would work on even thicker material.
The last part was to twist the blades. For this, I used the bending die again, to gripped the blade firmly, while using a protractor to twist each blade the same amount.
The finished fan:
The fan installed on the engine:
Thank you for visiting my shop.
If you have any questions about the engine or any of the other projects, please leave a comment below, or email at yogisworkshop(at)yahoo.com
For other projects from the shop, please check out the Projects Page in the top menu.