To continue the work on the engine, the next series of parts are for the cooling system, staring with the pump.
The gears for the pump are made from pinion stock, parting off two blanks.
To ensure both gears are exactly the same width, parallel and flat, my friend Brian helped me out with his surface grinder.
The finished gears, with the shafts installed.
The pump housing is milled from bronze.
along with the rear cover.
The finished pump housing parts:
With the gears installed.
And the pump installed on the engine.
For the plumbing to connect the pump output to the cylinder block passage, I made a couple of fittings. First the fitting to the cylinder block:
The original plan was to bend tubing from the pump to the inlet fitting, but that was an utter failure due to the small radius in my design. As solution, I made an elbow to be able to make the corner around the cylinder block.
The plumbing installed on the engine:
To make the connection from the coolant outlet passage on the cylinder head to a radiator hose, I needed to make a fitting. I took the inspiration for this fitting from a thermostat housing.
The fitting is made of two parts:
To assemble the two parts, slight press fit and some JB Weld for good measure.
The fitting installed on the engine:
The next set of parts I made were the pulleys to drive the pump. I’ll be using two O-Rings as drive belts.
The bearings installed in the pump pulley.
The pulley installed on the pump:
At this point is was time for a test run. I used a pulley I messed up earlier and had to remake, chucked up in my drill motor to drive the pump.
Thank you for visiting my shop.
If you have any questions about the engine or any of the other projects, please leave a comment below, or email at yogisworkshop(at)yahoo.com
For other projects from the shop, please check out the Projects Page in the top menu.