In this episode, I’ll continue and finish the governor.
The weight arm bracket is next. This will hold and provide a pivot for the arms.
I started on the lathe, turning a ring out of 6061 Aluminum stock.
Using the trusty soft jaws, the ring is then chucked up in the vise for milling.
The next operation was to mill the slots where the arms fit in. I clamped the bracket vertical, and used a slitting saw. Unfortunately, I didn’t take a picture.
…and the finished bracket.
The last part for the governor is the latch.
I milled it out of a brass bar, that was just about the right thickness. It only needed a light surface cut to bring it down to the correct dimension. To hold the work, I used CA glue to bond the brass to a piece of aluminum, which I then clamped in the vise. The contour is milled using light cuts, to not put too much load onto the glue bond. It worked very well, and I think I could have done deeper cuts, as the glue held really well, but I just didn’t want to take any chances. Once the milling was done, a bit of heat to release the glue and separate the part from the aluminum backer piece.
The governor assembled on the engine:
To illustrate the “run” position, I’m pushing on the spool to extend the weights.
…and to finish this episode, a picture of the engine at the current state of the build. We are getting really close to the finish now.
Thank you for visiting my shop.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I get back to you.