In this series I will be documenting the build of a Lehmann Stirling engine from plans by Ernst Vogt.
The project was started over 20 years ago. But as so many things in life, priorities change, and this project ended up being mothballed shortly after I started building it. It was safely stored away all this time in my brother’s workshop.
During a recent visit to my brother, I decided to resurrect this engine and take it home with me to continue the build and finish the engine.
I’ll start this build log with an overview of the parts that I made back in the day when I started the project.
The main cylinder housing is made from 100mm square tubing, and is mostly completed. What’s missing is the cylinder tube. I had one made, but for some reason it ended up being not round and needs to be remade.
The hot end:
For the flywheel, I got some help from my brother. At the time, he was working on a large multi task machine, and he machined the flywheel for me. It is not completely finished yet, as it needs to be bored out and the outside diameter finished up.
The big pieces together gives an idea of the size of the engine.
The two part cast iron piston:
Some brass parts. The oil cups are not finished and I might remake them anyway. Not decided yet.
The coolant reservoir:
Thank you for visiting my shop.
If you have any questions about the engine or any of the other projects, please leave a comment below, or email at yogisworkshop(at)yahoo.com
For other projects from the shop, please check out the Projects Page in the top menu.